The International Fellowships by the American Association of University Women (AAUW) for the class of 2023 are open for applications till December 1, 2022. The AAUW fellowships are for those women who are not US citizens or permanent residents and want to study a graduate program or take up post-doctoral studies in America.
These AAUW Scholar women must be determined to go back to their home countries to pursue their careers and serve their societies. Women who are members of Graduate Women International (GWI) can also get a chance to study in a country other than the USA or their home country.
The AAUW fellowship applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree and should have applied to an accredited US institution at the time of application.
AAUW Women Scholarship Benefits and Allowances:
The value of the AAUW Women Scholarship award or fellowship at each level of study is as follows:
- At the master’s the fellowship awards an amount of 18,000 USD.
- At the doctoral level, the fellowship is valued at 20,000 USD.
- At the post-doctoral level, the fellowship is valued at 30,000 USD.
Women AAUW Fellowships Eligibility Criteria:
You can consider yourself eligible to apply for the international fellowship by AAUW if you stand eligible for the following basic requirements:
- Students who previously have gotten a scholarship from AAUW are not eligible to apply. However, students who received community awards or branch awards from AAUW are still qualified for application.
- All the people who come under the staff of AAUW are also ineligible. This includes AAUW’s task forces, panels, board of directors, and interns (current). But a person who is currently in receipt of the award can get elected for the board of directors, panel, task forces, etc.
- Women from all over the world who intend to study at an accredited US institution in any subject area for the purpose of research or post-doctoral fellowships can apply.
- Unsuccessful candidates can re-apply in subsequent years.
- In order to apply for the International Fellowship, applicants have to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be citizens of a country other than the USA. If they are residing in the USA, they must not possess an immigrant visa. Applicants who have applied for citizenship or permanent residency in the USA are also ineligible to apply.
- Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree that is equivalent to that of the USA. The bachelor’s degree may have been earned from any institution in the world including the USA.
- Applicants must be determined to fully devote themselves to the study program that they are applying for. They also should be intending to return back to their home countries to pursue a career after the completion of their studies in the USA.
- Applicants should be native English speakers or should previously have studied in an institution that teaches primarily in English. Otherwise, they will have to prove their English language proficiency through language tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- Master’s and doctoral candidates must have applied to their institution of choice by or before November 15th, 2021. They should also specify the name of that institution in their Fellowship application form. Being accepted by that institution is not a requirement at the time of application.
- Post-doctoral applicants must be able to produce the proof of their doctorate studies, like a Ph.D., D.M., D.B.An, etc.
- In order to get the fellowship, master’s applicants must be accepted by their institution of choice in the fellowship year. (if applicants get accepted for the fellowship and do not get enrollment, they cannot defer the acceptance of fellowship to a subsequent year.
- Some of the awards are reserved for those women who are members of Graduate Women International. These awards will let them study and research in a country other than their home country. (an overseas branch of a US institution is considered outside of the US. So, these award holders can conduct their research in those institutions)
- Candidates can apply for this award regardless of which year of study they are in. However, they must be studying or conducting research for a full year. This is because the fellowship doesn’t cover funding for a partial year.
- Students enrolled in distance learning or online program will not be eligible to apply. These fellowships are only for those women who are studying in traditional classroom-based programs. The funding is also not for programs that are being taught partly in classrooms and depend mostly on distant learning. Due to COVID-19, the final decision regarding what hybrid programs qualify for funding will be made by AAUW.
Documents Needed to apply for AAUW Women Fellowship:
- Transcripts and degree of the highest degree earned by the applicant. This higher degree must be bachelor’s, master’s, or postgraduate. A certificate doesn’t qualify as the highest degree.
- Proof of admission or enrollment in the current university. This only applies to the students who currently are enrolled in a US institution. These applicants can provide their transcripts or institutional letters.
- Proof of English language proficiency via IELTS, or TOEFL.
- If the candidate is a native English speaker, he/she has to submit a written statement proving that fact.
AAUW Women Fellowships Application Process:
An application for AAUW International fellowship can be made by making a profile on the AAUW’s portal for International Fellowships (Link accessible at the end of the post). Fill out the application form online by putting in the details regarding the candidate’s background, research proposal, and recommendations.
Recommendations must be provided by the candidate’s teachers or employers who know the candidate’s academic background and the applicant’s work well. There are three recommendations to be provided in total in order to successfully apply for the AAUW international fellowship.
AAUW Fellowships Application Deadline in 2022:
The AAUW international fellowships applications in 2022 will be accepted until December 1, 2022, with all supporting documents. Applicants will be notified of their selection or rejection. Applicants cannot be asked to be notified earlier as it is not the policy of AAUW.